ASK FOR A HEALTHIER, GREENER & FAIRER TOMORROW - TUESDAY 30th JUNE - THE CLIMATE COALITION'S MASS ZOOM LOBBY
On 30 June the Climate Coalition are coming together for a virtual lobby, inviting you, and thousands of others to ask MPs to put people, climate and nature at the heart of our nation’s recovery.
The UK is at a turning point. As we build back from the current health crisis, we have the opportunity to rebuild a resilient economy that benefits everyone in society and tackle climate change and nature’s decline, creating jobs and protecting the most vulnerable in the UK and around the world. Or we can let the moment for change pass us by, go back to old ways and wait for new crises to hit.
Using our voices to call for action is more important than ever. Have a virtual cup of tea with your MP on Tuesday 30 June and tell them that #TheTimeIsNow to put a healthy, greener, fairer future at the heart of plans to rebuild from the Coronavirus crisis.
At the Virtual Lobby on Tuesday 30th June, people across the UK are coming together to call on MPs to put people, climate and nature at the heart of the UK’s recovery from corona virus. As we build back from the current health crisis, we have the opportunity to build a resilient economy that benefits everyone in society, tackling climate change and nature’s decline, creating jobs and protecting the most vulnerable in the UK and around the world. So - as the Prime Minister and Chancellor seek to reboot the economy from the effects of the lock down, we believe this is a historic opportunity for the UK government to:
1. Unleash investment in cleaner, greener homes, public spaces and transport, creating green jobs that support millions out of the recession - including through:
● Building economic resilience by applying a net-zero test to all spending and taxation measures - unless we embed the future economy in our decision-making today, we risk further instability and crises in the future.
● Launching a nationwide programme to insulate our homes - reducing our energy use and creating jobs, as well as protecting the most vulnerable from ill health next winter. The Government can start by delivering on the energy efficiency funding for buildings promised inits election manifesto and build on this to make all homes energy efficient by 2030.
● Increasing investment in better provision for walking and cycling, and public transport, and bringing forward the phaseout of new petrol and diesel cars and vans to 2030 to protect ourhealth and make our air cleaner.
● Ensuring that any Covid-19 financial rescue packages for companies are granted on strict conditions that align to the 1.5-degree commitment in the Paris Climate Agreement - putting people and workers first.
2. Put nature on the path to recovery at home and abroad through:
● Setting world-leading targets for nature’s restoration in the Environment Bill, delivering an ambitious Agriculture Bill and investing in a nature recovery network that will increase everyone's access to green and wild space.
● Putting sustainability at the heart of future trade policy by guaranteeing in law that food imports through future trade deals don’t undermine environmental, food safety and animal welfare standards in the UK.
● Reducing the global impact of UK consumption by requiring companies by law to ensure the sustainability of their supply chains. Reducing our global footprint and restoring nature across the world will be a key part of building resilience against future pandemics.
3. Support the most vulnerable abroad
● Champion debt cancellation and an increase in grants to the world’s poorest communities to enable them to build their resilience to both the COVID-19 and climate crises.
● End all UK public finance for fossil fuels overseas shifting instead to renewable, efficient energy and energy access for poor communities.
1. Tweet using the social tiles to promote their involvement. Suggested tweets below:
• #TheTimeIsNow for a healthy, green and fair recovery #GreenRecovery
• I support my constituents as they call for a healthy, green and fair recovery from #COVID19. #TheTimeIsNow @theccoalition
2. Write to the Prime Minister to tell him about their constituents’ support for a green and fair recovery and the recommendations in the Climate Coalition’s ‘Plan for a Green, Fair & Healthy Recovery’